Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Labor and Delievery

  This one is rough..

  So, on February 8, 2011 I run around all day long with my nerves on end and the only thing that I can do is clean. And clean. And clean some more. Tyler's at work, my moms at work, and my mamaw is doing nothing but making me more nervous.
   At 12 o'clock that night I'm standing outside the doors of the woman's pavilion just wanting to be at home in my own bed with my head covered pretending like I'm 7 again. By 12:30 on February 9, 2011 they have me hooked up to a IV and have given me a vaginal tablet that is supposed to help my utern walls soften and they put me on a pitocin drip that makes me dilate. They also put 2 monitors around my stomach, one to track my contractions, and the other to track the baby's heart beat.  By 4 o' clock that morning I start to feel a slight grabbing in my lower back and the nurse says that is the beginning of my contractions. Oh joy.
  As time goes by the contractions get a little bit stronger, but nothing that I couldn't shrug off my shoulder.  At 7 o' clock the doctor comes in there and said that I was 3 cm dilated and that he was going to break my water. Let me tell you, that isn't the clear liquid stuff called water that is in almost everything that we consume. It was mostly blood, and I leaked that stuff forever.
  But anyways, after he broke my water, they took those 2 monitors off from around my tummy and put another type of monitor on the baby's head with like a suction cup thing and some how put another up in me to track my contractions.
  By about 9:30 or 10 is when I can really feel my contractions and they offer me my epidural, but I'm going to be the macho man and refuse it until I asked for it. I wanted to feel what contractions were really about and if the movies were right. (All that was going on till about 2 was them checking my blood pressure and temperature.) And oh my, they are close to showing how it feels. By 1:30 p.m. my contractions were so bad that I couldn't take it anymore and told the nurses to run that epidural into my room. By the time that they got everything set up and started, it felt like my contractions we're hitting back to back, and they hurt so bad that I sat there and cried. After 10 minutes, I couldn't feel a thing from my titties to my toes.
  At 5:10 that evening, the doctor came in there to check me and I was at 5 cm but I had spiked a fever. He told me that if the fever didn't break and if I didn't dilate anymore that He was going to have to take me back for a emergency c-section. Exactly what I didn't want. Nothing was breaking this fever that I had and the pitocin wasn't working anymore, so when he came back in there at 6:10 and checked me again, he said to get ready you'll be back there within 5 minutes. That gave Tyler just enough time to put his doctor suit on and they was rolling me back to surgery.
  Now, this is where it gets really fuzzy. They pumped me full of things and was prepping me. Keep in mind that I have never been hospitalized, never had a surgery, never had a IV in me, nothing. I'm majorly freaking out about this whole thing and next thing I know the doc says that I'm going to feeling some pulling, by God I felt that, and it was making me sick to my stomach so I puked everywhere and 5 min after that Kaidyn Lane Dalton was here at 6:47 p.m.  And had to go to baby ICU for low respiration and a low fever caused by mine. 
  After they stitched me and stapled me I had to go into recovery for 2 hours and still didn't remember seeing my baby. At this point I was pretty ill and the nurses said that they had to crib him (get him used to the temp outside the incubator ). By this time it's about 10 p.m and they still haven't brought up my child and I'm calling the neonatal and my nurse every 5 minutes until I asked if I could come down to see my son. I was told if my nurse would let me, so I call her and she said that, ''Well if you think you can get out of bed.'' Sure can get the damn wheelchair in here. 4 1/2 hours after having a major surgery I got outta my bed and walked to my wheel chair to see my baby. 
  And he was so little! 6 lbs and 19 1/2 inches long, and he was absolutely perfect.